Saturday, March 08, 2008

Spring Broken!!

Last day before spring break I start this blog.

It is said to be normal to feel lazy on this day and have zero productivity. Moreover, the gloomy weather of Atlanta adds to the effect. So nobody can blame me for not doing anything substantial today and eventually turning to my blog. But wait!! Hasn't my whole semester been like this?
I have just 2 courses, and luckily my schedule worked out just perfectly such that I have classes only on two days a week. So technically, I have just a 2 day week. I wouldn't go on to say that I spend the rest of the days enjoying my five-day weekend. I do go to the lab every day and try to do some work, and later in the night chip in a little more. But for me spring break is no new thing. I have been having it the whole semester. So why am I having this pre-spring-break-laziness syndrome.

Well I guess being lazy is what I am. Everybody has there calling, I guess mine is being lazy.

The whole spring break went by and I am here one week later, adding to this post. I might have said that I have done a lot of stuff in this one week, but alas I haven't.

The highlight of my break was when one of my friends' parent came to Atlanta from India. They cooked and called us for dinner, and that they I ate so much that it literally hurt to move. And the food wasn't over even then. So much so that they packed us the leftovers for later. I found out eventually that they have been cooking for around six hours for us. And to think that they had just had a flight across half the planet.

The rest of the week was spent sleeping and playing my guitar. I forgot to mention that I got myself a new guitar (Kramer Focus series). The guitar is really good, probably too good for me. I have to practice for a really long time to be good enough for the guitar.

Well there was this issue about a project submission today (yes, a project submission in the middle of the spring break). But to think of it, it wasn't that bad. I didn't do anything the whole convincing myself that I can accomplish all this in the break week. And I also took up a thing about which I had no idea about. But as always, I got lucky and got the exact required papers and so I managed to implement the whole system as required.

One thing was weird though. Generally when I go about coding, once I finish the preliminary coding, it doesn't take too long to get rid of the compilation errors, and in no time I get my program compiling without any error.

The second stage is taking care of the seg fault (better known to people as segmentation fault(), sometimes you do have core dumped too, but I haven't yet been fortunate enough to encounter that in my life - touch wood!!). So I was saying the next part was getting rid of the stupid memory assignments I might have made all over the place and shot myself in the foot. Generally it takes some help from gdb and a bunch of printfs to actually get rid of them.

Surprisingly, I was done with them pretty quickly. I was a bit amazed, but I continued with the final stage. The stage where we check if it is actually giving the output which we expect. The most weirdest thing was it gave the exact result in the first try itself without any unexpected weirdness which I inevitably face in this stage. There is this other thing I am working on, and I have spend around a month now trying to get through this stage and still haven't. And now I get through this program in one go. Thats impossible!!!

So I spent some time to figure out whats wrong with it that it isn't giving any error (yes it is as weird as it sounds). But I still couldn't figure out, so I have made the submission still feelings sure that although it has worked fine with me, it will break down in the first trial when somebody else is testing my program.

Now here it is, the last Friday of the spring break and I haven't had no fun nor did any substantial work. Just answering my calling - lazing all the time.

No comments: